Total Pageviews

Monday 4 July 2011

Watched the Tamil movie "Avan - Ivan"

Ok, For the records, I am a huge fan of national Award winning director Mr.Bala. I still can't seem to get out of "Pithamagan" "Sethu' & "Nandha".

Yesterday, I watched "Avan-Ivan", after reading a lot of online reviews and other channel reviews.The simple reason because, all i get is just one day, as my off and that Sunday is again my only full day I get to spend with my 1.3 year old daughter, so I would never want to waste my day in movies at all. But, then Bala and his movies are always an exception. (I still dint watch hislast movie "Naan kadavul" because I was duly requested/warned/advised not to watch it by my friends/well wishers. So, i dint and I still wonder what might be the reason!!!)

Anyways, I went and watched the movie 'Avan-Ivan' because, almost all of the review sources said, Bala is back in form, once again giving his best which is fusing comedy and emotional quotient with human values, so touchingly and so emotionally.  I was happy that I am going to watch something on the likes of Nandha or Sethu.

But, After watching the movie, or should I say, even while watching the movie, I couldn't help, but find the striking similarity between "Pithamagan" and 'Avan-Ivan". The outline is same, two carefree young guys, living life on their own terms. The premises are same, Poor, Petit theives, love interest. An illegal profession they cross their path with, A Ganja farm in Pithamagan and a cattle business here. A very emotional death just before the climax - Surya there and G.M.Kumar here and then a gory climax.

Finished. But, you know what, I just cant find the emotional quotient here in 'Avan-Ivan" as how i felt so involved in 'Pithamagan", though Pithamagan was set on a highly unrelated premises to a common man.(How many times you come across people like Vikram in your real life?) I was trying my best to laugh out when ever Arya or that small boy (in a huge pack n a loud mouth) were doing comedy. But, Alas...I just can't. I still can remember Surya's entrepreneurial achievements in Pithamagan, be it legiyam sales or the mobile auction in the train.

Coming to the romantic side of the movie, my god, what's wrong with Bala sir? Are those two girls so dumb n stupid n silly enough to fall in love with our heroes for no reason at all? Or, is it just because, they are our heroes and no matter what or whoever these girls are, should fall in love with them? The so casual and natural love that was there between the mean yet good natured Surya and the so innocent Laila was like a dream to enjoy.

Music: Don't know. Sorry. No idea. and, you know how was it in Pithamagan. 'Elankaathu Veesudhe" was, is still my ringtone.
G.M.Kumar - Poor guy, running naked around at this age, just for the reason, he believes, Bala will do wonder. R.K - Once again, given a promise of break through and probably asked to grow beard and hair for 3-5 months, believing Bala will justify this hairy (scary) process. Arya - He does what he is to. simple. Vishal - All the pain of making a squint eye and emoting so well and yet making us so uneasy because of poor characterization, with no purpose.(May be he will get a National Award) Surya cameo - beep.beep.beep(just like BHTB)

I was running out of time waiting for something to happen, some place for the story to begin, some seriousness to show and it was the last 30 minutes the story took off and it was already too late for me to make myself serious or emotional to mourn for G.M.Kumar;s death. I was completely blank, felt numb and more irritated at his death  blaming myself for not able to get into it.

And, I am not gonna write how was Surya's murder in Pithamagan, because, even now, if I happen to watch it on TV, I feel very sad and gets silent till he is cremated in the movie. Anyways, that was a time.....

I have never criticized any movie before, for I don't actually spend any time on it. Just wait till some channel telecasts it. And, which is why I had to shed my anger out here doing a review.

But, as I said before, Bala is always an exception. And, will wait for the master maker to really do some magic next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment